2 1/2 lbs. plums, washed and pitted (about 15 medium)
1/2 c lemon juice
1 c water
2 1/2 lbs. apples, peeled, cored and sliced
5 1/2 c sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1) Cook plums in 1/4 c lemon juice and 1/2 c water in a covered 3 qt. saucepan
over medium-high heat
until plums are soft, about 20 mins.
2) Meanwhile, cook apples with 1/4 c lemon juice and 1/2 c water in a covered
3 qt. saucepan over
medium-high heat until apples are soft, about 10 mins.
3) Let both mixtures cool slightly, combine in blender or food processor and puree.
4) Pour into heavy 8 qt. flameproof roasting pan along with the sugar, spices and salt.
5) Preheat oven to 300 F.
6) Cook on top of the stove over medium heat until all sugar dissolves.
7) Transfer roasting pan to preheated oven.
8 ) Bake uncovered, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens. This will take 1-3 hours.
9) Test by spooning some onto a plate. If no liquid appears on the edges, it is ready.
10) Ladle into sterile jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Cap and seal.
11) Process 10 mins. in BWB canner.
Makes 6 half-pints.